Episcopal Diocese of Virginia
The Episcopal Church »  |  The Diocese of Virginia

St. John's Episcopal Church predates the Civil War

In the early days, Centreville was known as "The Crossroads," an apt description for a small community at the intersection of several country roads. Not far from its center stood St. John's, a simple country Episcopal Church.

St. John's is a survivor, built during trying times with meager funds and at great personal sacrifice. It was consecrated on July 14, 1850 by Bishop John Johns of Virginia. Like many country churches of its day, it was simply furnished.

During the Civil War, Confederate and Union troops surged back and forth through Centreville. Most of the trees surrounding the church were destroyed by the 40,000 Confederate troops who wintered there, in order to build fires and erect huts. A photograph taken at the times shows the encampment with St. John's in the background.

The little church was partially burned about 1863. It was rebuilt in 1867 on the same foundation and consecrated in 1872. Electricity was installed in 1939. In 1954 it became an active Episcopal Mission and a Parish Hall was added. Then in January 1969 St. John's was granted independent parish status.