History of Saint John's Episopal ChurchAnglican/Episcopalians have been worshiping in the vicinity of St. John's for over two and a half centuries. The forerunner was Rocky Run Chapel build in 1746 where Braddock Road crosses great Rocky Run just west of Route 28. At that time, the community that became Centreville was known as Newgate, and the congregation was part of the Church of England. The fate of that chapel is unknown, but it presumably was lost in a fire. St John's Episcopal was built on its present site in the mid-nineteenth century. It was consecrated in 1850.
During the Civil War the Confederate and Union troops surged back and forth through Centreville; and at some point the building was used as a hospital. In 1862 St John's was used as a Confederate encampment. Of necessity the 40,000 Confederate troops chopped down most of the trees to build fires and erect hutments for shelter.
The church was burned and rebuilt on the same foundation in 1867. After that services were held intermittently. For several years it was served by seminary students from the Virginia Seminary in Alexandria, and visiting priests. St. John's was reestablished as a full time mission in 1954, and in January 1969 it was granted parish status. A new parish house was dedicated in September 1994.